Monday 27 October 2014

Egg Dal Curry : A spicy egg curry with lentil


The other day, when I refused an egg in front of my cousin who is visiting, she looked at me with utter disbelief. Who refuses an egg? she asked with bewilderment. I said I was full. She shook her head and her eyes rested on the egg for a few fleeting seconds before she jerked her eye away sensing I was looking. I said, "why don't you have my share, I don't want to put it back in the refrigerator." "Ummm Ok." she beamed.

My cousin's love for eggs is well known in the family. She calls herself an eggaddict. The only one who could give my father tough competition should there be one to determine who is the greatest lover of eggs. If this particular cousin is visiting eggs are a must on the menu, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. She has no real fascination for meats or fish, give her her daily quota of eggs and she is happy. Once when we were kids she almost broke her teeth trying to bite into clay eggs that were a part of a set of clay food items I had bought at a Rath Yatra fair. I had got a terrible scolding for telling her they tasted better than the regular eggs.

I on the contrary have never been 'into' eggs. No that is not to say I don't like them. I am moody when it comes to eggs. Yes I love the occasional Dim er Kalia, a typical Bengali style rich egg curry or Dim er jhaal a family specialty made with thick sliced onions, tomatoes and red and green chilies. And I have a soft spot for Eggs Benedict, though in this case I am more fond of the bacon and Hollandaise sauce. Oh and I love boiled eggs with rice, butter and mashed potatoes. We call the combination Sheddho Bhaat. The ultimate comfort food for a bona fide Bengali.

However, today was one of those days when I felt like eggs. And I wanted to try something different. Something spicy to go with plain boiled rice. I started off to make some sort of Masala eggs and then in a sudden twist of mood added some moong dal to the masala I was frying. Actually I quite like the eggs and lentil (dal) combination. Sometimes, I make a last-minute request for a fried egg or an omelette to have with rice and dal. What is the harm in cooking the two together. I realised later that I couldn't claim this to be an original, dal and eggs curried together is something that has been tried and tested. However, this recipe is mine and I am sure you will like it as much as I do.


Ingredients 

Boiled eggs - 5
Yellow moong dal - 60 g
Sliced onions - 3 medium
Garlic - 6-8 large cloves
Grated ginger - 2 tbsp
Whole dry red chilies - 4-5
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Grated coconut - 1 cup
Vinegar - 60 ml
Mustard oil
Salt and sugar to taste
Chopped green chilies for garnish


Method 

Dry roast the whole dried red chilies, cumin, coriander and mustard seeds. Once fragrant keep aside. 

Dry roast the grated coconut until it is a nice golden brown. 

In a food processor grind together the dried roasted whole spices, coconut, garlic and ginger along with the vinegar. Do not add water, 

In a pan heat mustard oil. Add the sliced onion and fry until golden brown. Add the ground spice mix and fry until oil separates. 

Add the lentils which you have drained well in advance, and fry for a few minutes more. Add salt and sugar. 

Now add warm water and bring to a boil. Cook on medium heat until dal is nearly cooked. 

Add the eggs and cook until dal is cooked through, the liquids dry up and oil separates. 

Garnish with chopped green chilies and serve with rice or roti! 


1 comment:

  1. I made this for lunch today. Wow. The coconut masala itself was very good. Definitely a keeper this recipe.

    ReplyDelete