Thursday 10 July 2014

Greek-style Lemon-Garlic Chicken and a quick game night snack


I have been planning to roast some whole chicken for quite some time now. Finally I did yesterday. My Maa set off on her maiden solo trip yesterday and with her gone I was feeling quite lost really. During these 27 years of my life, there have been numerous instances when I have been away from home for days, weeks, months and even years, so have my father and brother, but it has never so happened that we were home and Maa was away for any longer than a weekend. It is a first time for us and we are coping with it in our own ways. I for one am feeling lost in my own house. And while I could and actually have survived rough terrains and harsh climate, I have no clue how to survive in my own house without my mother. 

Ever since I quit my job, I have grown all the more used to having Maa around all the while. And with Dad off to work and my brother off to doing whatever it is that he does (he says he goes to college though) I have no clue how to go about the day a major part of which is spent fighting with my mother. Of course, the best way to keep busy is by cooking, and last afternoon I roasted some chicken for lunch, the Greek way, with loads of lemon and garlic and the herby deliciousness called Oregano.Usually the Greeks would roast some potatoes along with the chicken but I was not in the mood. The name of the dish in Greek is interesting though I have no clue how I should pronounce it. It's called Kotopoulo Skorthato. The dish was reminiscent of one I had had in a small restaurant in Kusadasi in Turkey on my trip last year. The lightness of the tangy, garlicky chicken with some bread dipped in the delicious juices made for a great lunch. The very mention of my plans of roasting chicken for lunch had made Dad decide to take the day off. Maa said on phone, he is just plain happy with her not around! Umm....When the cat's away, the mice will play! No? 

By the way this post is my entry for Kolkata Food Blogger's Event Game Night Bites which endeavours to bring to you delicious snacks you can munch on while watching the World Cup Finals this Sunday. If you are wondering how whole roasted chicken can morph into a game night bite read on. And this post is also resonant with World Cup Series! We are down to Group C and my pick is Greece. Two days to go for the World Cup to come to its conclusion and two more recipes coming your way SOONEST. 


Ingredients 

Whole chicken (650-700 g each) - 4 

Minced garlic - 1.5 tbsp 

Lemon juice - 6- 7 tbsp

Lemon zest - 1/2 tbsp 

Oregano (dried) - 1.5 tbsp 

Chili flakes to taste 

Salt to taste 

Olive oil - 1/4 cup 

Method 

In a bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, chili flakes, garlic and oregano.

Place the chicken in a baking dish. Pour the marinade on top. Turn the chicken over and around so that it is laced in the marinade each of them. Keep for an hour.

In the meantime preheat oven at 180 degree centigrade.

Roast the chicken (breast side up) for about 60 minutes or until it is cooked through and a beautiful golden brown on top. KEEP BASTING THE MEAT WITH ITS JUICES EVERY 15 MINUTES.

Serve with some mashed potato and bread. Reserve the juices in the pan and dip your bread in it. It is delicious.



Wondering exactly how is this a game night bite. Well, the idea came when my brother made sandwiches for himself and his friends the other night (when Argentina beat Netherlands) with leftover grilled lamb chops. For me, considering the time at which the World Cup matches are broadcast here, the best snacks are ones that can be quickly assembled, rather than those that have to be whipped up fresh. So all you need to do is shred the roasted chicken which can be made way in advance, take tow slices of bread, spread you favourite sandwich spread or just a little mayonnaise, place a mound of shredded roasted chicken, sandwich, lightly grill and dig in.

1 comment: