Thursday 26 June 2014

My Three-Cheese Bread soup!!! - Going nuts

Sometimes I go crazy in the kitchen. Yes, I do. The instances are numerous. I go into the kitchen to prepare a particular dish, sometimes a printed recipe in hand, and then I come out having made something totally different from what I set out to. Sometimes, these fits of crazy impulse yield delicious fruits, sometimes I have to go into hiding. Something similar happened today. I set out to make Ecuador style Sopa de pan (bread soup), I ended up making bread soup alright, but it was nothing like what I had initially set out to make.


So, the sopa de pan is basically a creamy but thinnish soup with chunks of soggy bread in it. I followed the recipe to the T, well almost, till the point where you add the bread to to the soup. And then I went nuts. First, I went for the Multigrain bread instead of the baguette I had brought for the purpose. And then just when it was all done, I decided I don't want chunks of bread, so I brought a whisk and in minutes the bread had crumbled and melted into the soup. Next I added some cream to make the mix thicker and rounded off with cheddar and mozzarella cheese and chili flakes. And then I added some more of the nuts and grains that fell off the bread into the packet. And finally topped off the thick, creamy, cheesy muddle with some cilantro. 

Years ago I had had a Spanish tomato bread soup which was quite similar in texture. This one is very thick, cheesy, creamy and nutty from all the grains. I think I could put it on the top of my latest comfort  food. Only you have to have it hot. I cannot call it Sopa de Pan anymore, lest purists grimace. So I'll call it my Three Cheese Bread soup. If you like really thick soups you'll like it too. Or you could simple tweak it to your liking that is terms of texture!


Ingredients 

Olive oil - 2 tbsp
Finely chopped onion - 3 tbsp
Orange food colour - a pinch
Milk - 2 cups
Water/chicken stock - 1 cup
Fresh cream - 75ml
Softened Feta Cheese - 1/4 cup
Grated Cheddar cheese - 3 tbsp
Grated Mozzarella cheese - 2 tbsp
Salt and pepper to taste
Dried Oregano - 1 tsp
Chili flakes to taste
Multi-grain bread (a day old) - 4 slices (1 inch thick)
Finley chopped parsley or cilantro to garnish.


Method 

Heat oil in a pan and add the orange food colour. Stir and then add the onions and fry till they are soft and translucent.

Add water/chicken stock and bring to boil. Boil for about five minutes.

Now add the milk, cream, feta cheese, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir continuously while simmering on low heat for a few minutes.

Add the bread, the Cheddar and mozzarella cheese and cook until cheese melts and bread is cooked through. Either leave the bread in chunks or like I did whisk so that it crumbles and melts into the soup.

Finish it off with chopped cilantro or parsley ad some chili flakes. I sprinkled some of the nuts and grains from the multi-grain bread  too.

Serve hot.


5 comments:

  1. goddammit lady!open a restaurant already!! I want to taste your food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! you don't have to wait for that to taste my food though....you need to say when!

      Delete
  2. Yummy.... M drooling...


    http://eatwithnabz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete