Tuesday 8 April 2014

Talking about perfectly flaking fish : Ajwaini Machhi Kebab


My last post, minutes ago was about the delicious kebabs I savoured at Calcutta's Astor Hotel and there I was going gaga over their Lahsuni Kebab. Which reminded of this Ajwaini Kebab I had made a few weeks ago for an uncle who came visiting. I had meant to post it but had't till now. After revisiting my Kebab binge at Astor, I couldn't not post this recipe right away. I am not going to keep you from it with another of my reminiscences, though I would love to tell you all about the character that is this uncle, Buro Kaka, for whom I made this Kebab, but may be another time. It turned out juicy, creamy and yes it flaked just as it should.

Ingredients 
Bekti fllet, cut in generous cubes - 750 g
Limes - 2
Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Carom seeds: 2 tsp
Hung curd - 3 tbsp
Cream - 6-8 tbsp
Besan  (Bengal gram flour) -1tsp
Salt to taste
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Melted butter - 3-4 tbsp
Onion rings and lime juice to serve


Method 

Cut the limes in thin rings and in a bowl full of water toss in the fish and the lime rings and some salt. Keep for an hour.

Pat dry the fish with towel and then marinate with all the ingredients, except the butter for an hour

Brush the fish pieces with butter and then grill them at 180 degrees for about 30 minutes or until it has a nice golden brown crust. Mid way give it another dose of butter-brushing I say.

Serve with onion rings tossed with lime juice, salt and pepper and enjoy the melt-in-the-mouth goodness


No comments:

Post a Comment