Thursday 3 April 2014

Maple Baked Fish


Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night and worry. I wonder if I did the right thing and I panic. Quitting a job, a lucrative one at that, a kind of job that was the natural ramification of my years of education just to simply follow my heart, or merely its whim, isn't exactly a practical thing to do. You simply didn't think things through, they keep saying, They who? The uncle from Uttarpara, the aunt from Ballygunge, the friendly neighbour. And then the classic, "a foreign degree down the drains,"clucking of tongues, wagging of tongues...I love ox tongue though. And though I smile the most mysterious smile that I can smile when faced by their ranting, as if mocking their ignorance, I know that I am clueless too. So, I gave up my job as a journalist in a top newspaper house, and I don't earn a penny on this date.Big deal. I quit my job and I don't earn a penny on this date. Panic. I have been vacillating between the two modes. But then despite the uncertainty and the ambiguity my future is shrouded in right now, I know one thing. I have not been happier than now in the longest time. 

I have all the time to read, to indulge in illogical rumination, to write to my heart's content and then there is this blog to take care of. And I am loving it. I have finished reading 5 wonderful novels in the last month, while I hadn't read a single book in the last one year, while on the job. And my sense of accomplishment is far more now, than it has ever been on the job. And I have written to my heart's content. I am working on a couple of short stories now and may be one day I'll share them with you. But what I mean to say here, and I know I am not the first one to say this....Let no one define success for you, define and paint your own kind of success. On that note...some Maple baked fish.



Ingredients

Bekti or Barramundi fillet - 500 g
Maple syrup - 2-3tbsp
Soy Sauce - 1.5 tbsp
Garlic paste - 1tbsp
Granted ginger - 1.5 tbsp
Coarsely ground pepper - 1.5 tbsp or as per taste
Vinegar - 1tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp




Method

Marinate the fish with all the ingredients for an hour.

Line the fish in a baking tray and bake it in the oven for 30-35 minutes at 200 degree centigrade.

Serve with a side of boiled vegetables tossed in a little olive oil, a drop of honey, salt and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.



No comments:

Post a Comment