Thursday 10 April 2014

Chicken and Prunes Kebab


The vegetable and prune kebabs I had sample at Calcutta's Astor Hotel a few days ago had got me thinking. I wondered how a meaty kebab with a burst of sweet and tang from the prunes turn out. And I had to try making some my way. Yesterday, though tired after a rather extensive press lunch at a city hotel, and half roasted in this sweltering heat (a half roasted me isn't a pretty view), I decided I would go prunes shopping. I came home with prunes alright, and with that some cranberries, lots of mozzarella, some good wine and chocolate. Was I a happy woman? You bet. 

Anyway, I came home to find my parents had guests over. Mum's bestie was over and what could be a better reason to get something grilling in the oven. Well, the only worry was what if my experiment failed. Fingers crossed I got to grinding, chopping and mixing. The idea was to make a spicy kebab, where the spice and heat will be punctuated by the sweet and sour prunes. 4 hours later I had served some of the softest and tastiest kebabs every one swore they have had in a long time. 

I my recipe I have suggested an overnight marination for the kebabs, though last evening I had only marinated the chicken  for three hours. However, a few pieces of chicken remained in the marinade, I grilled them this morning and they were even tastier. 



 Ingredients

Boneless chicken - 1 kg
Prunes (chopped) - 150 g 
Curd - 3-4 tbsp 
Cashew nut paste - 1 tbsp 
Green papaya paste – 2 tbsp
Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Ginger paste - 1 tbsp
Kashmiri red chili powder - 1tsp
Red chili powder – 1tbsp
Nutmeg powder – ¼ tsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Coriander powder – 1tbsp
Cumin powder – 1tsp
Oil – 4 tbsp
Salt to taste
Sugar – ½ tsp 


Method


Marinate the chicken with all the ingredients, except the prunes, overnight, in the refrigerator.

Bring out the chicken from the fridge, toss in the prunes. With you fingers make dents into the chicken and stuff the bits of prunes into them. Keep for another half an hour.

Preheat oven and grill the chicken in batches of 8-10 pieces for 20 minutes at 225 degree centigrade.



The kebabs are creamy and absolutely melts in your mouth….literally.

Serve with some mint and coriander chutney high on heat.





1 comment: