Monday 2 December 2013

Rocket and Orange salad with Grilled Five Spice Chicken

A few days ago one of my friends asked me to toss up and share the recipe for a good salad that spelt winter. She is one of the people who have followed and encouraged my blog since I started a couple of months (three actually) ago and I had to keep her request. 

In fact, I had visualised this salad as and while I was speaking to her, promising her to share a recipe soon. She said winter and she uttered salad and images of luscious oranges, green rocket and, well....meat. It's crazy how I always want meat in my salad. I think it has something to do with my unnatural aversion for healthy everything. 

Anyway, so this is a simple salad with orange and rocket leaves and some grilled chicken. I have used a vinaigrette, a pretty simple one. Just a  little honey, mustard and orange juice. I had thought of tossing in some fresh parsley but decided against it at the last moment. However, its the chicken which gives the twist to the salad. Chicken marinated with some orange juice, garlic and five spice powder. Now I was initially a little apprehensive whether five spice and Dijon Mustard would go together...but they hit it off right from the word go. As for rocket. they are my favourite salad greens, I don't do salad without those in. 

This recipe however is more of an idea. I think salads should be an informal affair. Something you could toss up while sipping on some wine and listening to Adele (I am currently in Adelle mode, in fact Rolling in the deep playing right now) without a care. Although this one is not exactly the toss up and go deal, still I wanted to leave the space for you to do it your way, just how you like it. Pour in as much or as little of each ingredient as you wan, to give yourself a salad just like you like it. What I can vouch for is the combination of flavours. 

Hope you guys like the recipe and please let me know how you find it if and when you toss it up.

Making the chicken

Boneless chicken  

Garlic paste

Orange juice

Honey  

Salt

Paprika

Five spice powder

Oil

Method

Marinate the chicken with the above ingredients and keep aside for about half an hour.

Pre heat oven at 200 degree centigrade and grill the chicken at the same temperature for 25-30 minutes.  If you don’t want to use the oven, grill the chicken on a griddle.

Keep the chicken aside, juices intact.



For the dressing


Ingredients
Orange juice

Honey

Dijon Mustard

Garlic paste

Red wine vinegar

Salt to taste

Method

Blend the honey, Dijon mustard and garlic paste well.

Add the orange juice, red wine vinegar, salt, beat and blend well.
 


For the salad

Ingredients
Rocket leaves
Orange (pips removed)
Salt and pepper 

Getting it together

Break the chicken pieces with your fingers into smaller pieces. Toss in the rocket leaves, oranges into the chicken (the juices and all) and toss well. Ladle in some dressing or serve it on the side. This one’s one helluva salad!
  

PS: Be careful with the oranges. Check how they taste before you jump into the act. Go easy with the orange juice too, you want the flavour, but you don’t want the salad to be too acidic.  


1 comment: