Wednesday 2 October 2013

Grilled fish with Chimichurri sauce and oregano baked potatoes


I am unwell. Let’s not get into the dreary details but the one thing and the first thing the doctor said was — well, control your diet, eat healthy. Well…. I eat healthy, only I have taken HEALTHY to a whole new level. Anyway, I am unwell enough to be sitting at home for the last three days. And I have been too tired to get to the kitchen. And to add to my woes I have been handed a diet chart.

I know all about diet charts. I know them better than many. I have tried so many of them. Well each for a while at least…cabbage soup diet, GM diet (the two are almost the same) Atkins, Eat 8 times a day (I took that to a whole new level too) etc. But this one… urgh. Well, so this evening I was going through the chart for the 100th time perhaps, looking for loopholes of course. Couldn’t find many. But come on, bending the rules just a little is fun. If the doc mixes up healthy with bland and tasteless, not my problem at all.

I’ll show you healthy I said.

I planned to grill some fish for dinner, of course with as little oil as possible. Whipped up a quick marinade and in went the fish. My brother came sauntering into the room, one look at the fish and he decided healthy eating is for everyone. He said he was on board. Minutes later I was to cook for the entire family. So I thought I might as well bake some potatoes. (They can have it…all they want…they are neither morbidly obese nor unhealthy). 

And some Chimichurri sauce maybe. I say it on Eat Street and ever since wanted to make it. Its freshness is so alluring. I didn’t have a recipe though, only a rough idea. So I whipped up my version. I haven’t tasted the real deal, so the idea was to make it tasty. I made a lot of Chimichurri today. This Latin American goodness is a winner and went very well with the juicy grilled fish. 

Oh I only had one baked potato...that's alright ...right?






My Chimichurri sauce

Ingredients

1/4 cup good vinegar 
1/2 cup olive oil 
1/2 cup chopped parsley 
1/2 cup chopped coriander 
1 tbsp Oregano (optional)
Fresh cracked pepper 
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar 
1 tbsp crushed garlic 

Method 

In a bowl mix all the ingredients and give it a good whisk.  Refrigerate






Baked potatoes with Oregano

Ingredients

10-12 small potatoes
Olive oil
Cayenne pepper or just red chilli powder to taste
1tbsp dried Oregano 
Salt to taste 
1tsp garlic powder

Method

In a bowl mix the potatoes with all the ingredients and keep aside.
In a preheated oven, bake the potatoes at 175 degree centigrade for 45 minutes or till they are tender inside and crisp outside.

Grilled fish

Ingredients 

1/2 kilo Bekti fillet (cubes)
2 tsp Garlic paste
2tbsp vinegar
1tbsp olive oil
2tbsp fresh Cracked pepper
Salt to taste

Method

Marinate the fish with garlic paste, salt, pepper and vinegar for an hour.
Preheat oven at 175 degree centigrade, on grill mode.
Grill fish on wire rack for 10 minutes, turning it ones mid way.
Do not overcook the fish.                                    



4 comments:

  1. Got to try it.... looks delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi, about the sauce, whisk as in blender e? Will it then look like dhonepatar chutney?
    Also, Baked potatoes I made last week. More or less same recipe. Goes great with beer. :-D
    P.S. get well soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. na go not in a blender with a fork or something or those manual whisks

      Delete