Tuesday 10 September 2013

Chicken with parsley and preserved lemons


I have always liked the idea of cooking chicken with preserved lemons. Have come across quite a few tagine recipes using preserved lemons with chicken. I have contemplated trying out a tagine 9there are so many recipes for this legendary Berber dish), but what's the point of making a tagine, without a tagine, that is the lidded earthen pot in which the dish is cooked.  

Nonetheless, I was going to make a chicken and it would have preserved lemons I thought.

But using preserved lemons can be tricky, one: it has a strong aroma and two: the degree of its sourness varies I figured. But I tried anyway. I came up with my own version though, and...... it turned out great. 
Dad: Verdict - Fantastic
Brother - Uffffff
Ma (scariest critic ever) - Brilliant 
Me....happy!!!!

 Spot the slivers of preserved lemons?

Chicken with parsley and preserved lemons


Ingredients
Chicken (boneless) –  I kg
Onions – 3 large (chopped)
Garlic: I large (finely chopped)
Ginger juliennes – 2 tbsp
Chopped parsley  – I medium bowl
Preserved lemons – 1 (remove the core and cut the skin in thin slices)
Kashmiri chili powder – 1 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1tsp 
Slit green chilies – 4-5 (depends on how hot you like your food)
Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon powder – ¾ tsp
Nutmeg powder – A pinch or two
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
Oil –  4-5 tbsp

Method
Heat oil and add the onions and fry till the onion is soft and translucent. Sprinkle a little salt to soften the onions faster. Add the ginger and garlic.
Toss in the chicken and one by one add the chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt and mix well. Cover and Cook on low heat for 15 minutes or until chicken is tender. Do not add water. Let the chicken cook in its juices.
Now add the parsley, lemon slices and sugar. Add this point adjust seasonings. Cook until the juices dry and oil separates.
Sprinkle the nutmeg and add the green chilies.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with piping hot rice

PS: My version was hot and tangy with a hint of sweet. The quantity of sugar you add depends on your taste but do not delete it altogether. Even a pinch would enhance the taste.


 
 On a bed of piping hot rice

2 comments:

  1. I have some preserved lemons lying ... will try this for sure :)

    ReplyDelete